Proof of Concept: You will be able to create a free WordPress.com account, change some default site settings so that you can post via email & phone call, and then create your first text post and audio post in 15 minutes. [Qualifiers that can hinder or defeat the process: the Internet is slow or unavailable for some reason; you are slow or unwilling for some reason; you don’t have a device that can create and send an email, and/or a working phone]
There are 5 steps. Start with Step 1 at the bottom, and work your way up to Step 5.
Step 5: If you haven’t already done so, check your watch, go to your WP site, and look at, or listen to, your first two blog postings. *Were you able to do it all in 15 minutes, or less?
Step 4: Create an “audio post” as your second blog post.
- From any working phone, call the special “post via voice” WordPress number and enter your special code when prompted. Then start talking. When you are through, hang up.
Step 3: Create an email, attach an image, and send the email to the special “Post via Email” email address that was created in Step 2, which will create your first post.
- Use the compose/create email option from whichever email program you normally use, on the device you normally create & send emails from.
- Enter the special email address in the “Send To” window.
- Enter a subject in the email “Subject” window. (This will become your blog post “Title”.)
- Type a short text message in the “Message” area. (This will become your blog post text.)
- Attach an image file (JPG or PNG format) to your email. (This will be added with the text to your blog post.)
- Check to make sure the email address is correct and the other info is as you like.
- Send the email. (Depending upon if you have an Internet connection currently, or how much traffic is slowing down email delivery, your post could be published in a matter or seconds, minutes, or even hours… normally not days. When completed, WP will send a notification to your account email address.)
Step 2: Go to the Dashboard for your WordPress site to change some settings that will allow you to “Post via Email” and “Post via Voice”.
- Go to your WordPress site and click on the “Site Admin” link and enter your WP account & password.
- Click on the “Dashboard” tab (located on the left side, near the top) or look for “My Blogs” beneath the Dashboard tab.
- Click on the “My Blogs” option (you should only have one blog at this time)
- Click on the “Enable” button beneath the “Post via Email” option, and make note (record for future use, write it down, memorize the address) of the unique email address to be used to post via email to this site.
Step 1: Create your free WordPress.com account.
- Go to http://wordpress.com to start the process.
- Click on “Get Started” beneath the words, “Sign Up and Start Publishing Now.” (You will be asked to enter four bits of info: your email address, a unique user name & password for your WP account, and a unique blog address for your first site.)
- Enter your email address.
- Enter a user name (all lower-case letters or numbers, and one that someone else isn’t already using – WP will check)
- Enter a password
- Enter a “blog address” (This can’t be something that someone else is already using – WP will check – and you can change it later, if you would like. The unique blog address will be pre-pended to “.wordpress.com”.)
- Click on the “Sign Up” button for the “Basic” account. (The Basic WP account is $0 (free), but if you want to add other features later, you can choose one of the paid annual accounts types.